Invited researcher, professor at the Institute of Collective Health Studies of the University of Rio de Janeiro
A medical doctor by training, I worked for many years as a family and community doctor in Brazil with people in vulnerable social situations before training in social anthropology. My doctoral thesis in France (EHESS) focused on the humanitarian care of Médecins du Monde in Paris and was published in the book: Soigner les mal soignés. Ethnologie d'un center de soins gratuits.
I am currently a professor at the Institute of Collective Health Studies of the University of Rio de Janeiro and I am dedicated to anthropological studies on the anthropology of the body, health and biomedicine.
My last research was on medical semiology from an anthropological point of view and on the representations of Brazilian obstetricians in front of the caesarean section.
My current research focuses on the controversies and consensus on the treatment and prevention of covid 19.
Main latest publications
- Ferreira, Jaqueline. In the Crossing of Politics With Science: Medical Arguments on the High Rate of Cesarean Sections in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In: Panagiotis Tsikouras. (Org.). Current Topics in Caesarean Section. 1ed.London: IntechOpen Limited, 2021, v. 1, p. 1-23.
- Ferreira, Jaqueline. Necropolítica, poder e significados da pandemia do coronavírus: uma abordagem antropológica. Sociedade e Cultura , v. 24, p. 1-27, 2021.
- Ferreira, Jaqueline. O Corpo Sígnico: abordagens antropológicas dos sintomas, sinais e símbolos corporais. 1. ed. Curitiba: CRV, 2022. 264p .
- Ferreira, Jaqueline; Brandão, Elaine Reis . Reflexividade na pesquisa antropológica em saúde: desafios e contribuições para a formação de novos pesquisadores. Brasilia: UNB, 2021. 286p .
- Ferreira, Jaqueline; Soraya Fleischer. Etnografia em Serviços de Saúde. Rio de Janeiro, Garamond, 2014.